Throwing a party in Grenada is almost as hard as throwing a party in Beijing. No Michael’s, no Paper Source, no Etsy, no boutique party decor stores. Not even a Wal-Mart. We’re lucky when we go to the grocery store and the milk and butter are in stock. :)
That being said, I was determined to pull off a beautiful bridal shower for my friend Yunah, even if it meant making everything from scratch! Luckily, we were able to find a few things that we could work with like tissue paper, coffee filters, recycled bottles and jars, and jute twine. I also had an awesome team of crafters and bakers who helped me do everything from crocheting doilies to fluffing pom-poms to making scrumptious treats like Chinese egg tarts, biscotti, and bubble tea!
We held the bridal tea party at the Grand Anse Beach Pavilion, which is located right next to the beautiful Grand Anse Beach. The pavilion had a breathtaking view of the ocean, a cool breeze, and beautiful lighting.
Mocha cake pops and tea favors
The beautiful bride-to-be
An assortment of pom-poms made from tissue paper and dyed coffee filters hung over the table.
Check out that view!
Yunah chooses the winner
Toilet paper creations
My awesome team of crafters + bakers with the bride-to-be.
Photos by the talented Kat Fung.
1. tiger balm (for mosquito bites) // 2. pool party // 3. mac ‘n cheese kinda day // 4. repurposed yard clippings // 5. vietnamese sugarcane shrimp // 6. work day // 7-9. koi pond
We’re headed back to the US on Saturday! We’ll be visiting my sis in DC first. She went grocery shopping this weekend and stocked up on cheese, junk food, and steak for me and Dean. :) Best sister ever.
1. waiting for the bus // 2. homemade jajangmyun with sides // 3. souvenirs // 4. crab // 5. our apartment // 6. homemade pad thai // 7. playing telestrations // 8. island by night // 9. friday afternoon
1. machete // 2. staring contest with a cow // 3. cannonball flower // 4. Grenadian buffet // 5. monkeys! // 6. dried cocoa beans // 7. local crafts // 8. colorful benches // 9. mango watermelon smoothie
1. camembert + apple // 2. tropical flower // 3. homemade birthday ice cream // 4. birthday cards // 5. lobster risotto // 6. ting grapefruit soda // 7. carrot cupcakes w/ cream cheese frosting // 8. tubing with the girls // 9. bulgogi + kimchee
1. dock at SGU campus // 2. brick wall across from our apartment // 3. quiet time in the morning // 4. roasting food at the beach // 5. bacon-wrapped hot dogs // 6. with toppings! // 7. hermit crab // 8. monopoly deal // 9. saturday afternoon
I realized I haven’t shared too many pictures of our day-to-day lives here, so I wanted to start posting some weekly snapshots. Hopefully, this will give you a glimpse into our lives here on the island.
1. John 3:16 // 2. eggplant + tomato pizza // 3. bougainvillea flowers outside our apartment // 4. fish friday vendors in the city of Gouyave // 5. crab curry // 6. wing night Wednesday // 7. snorkeling at Magazine Beach // 8. fresh tamarind // 9. tamarind tree